Saturday, January 22, 2011

おいしい

Soba Noodles… I made this dish on Monday. I did not have any shrimp thus was unable to make shrimp tempura to place on top of the noodles. The recipe also required scallions to be added; however, the only scallions I could find were pickled scallions. I don’t know about you, but I do not like the flavor of pickled scallions. For those of you who have not tasted pickled scallions they taste like bread and butter pickles, a bittersweet flavor. Yuck! I also could not find Shichimi Togarashi (dried seven-spice chili mix). Instead I used crushed red peppers (similar to cayenne pepper). Although I must say it was still very delicious!






Onigiri… I made this dish on Sunday. I feel that this is one of the dishes I have mastered! Who knew after six tries I would finally remember all the ingredients and how to make it! Also that it would be so tasty! For those of you who are wondering what the brown stuff is sprinkled over the Onigiri it is tuna. I had mad a little too much and decided to sprinkle it over the rice balls.





Clear Soup with Tofu and Shiitake Mushrooms… This dish was partially completed on Thursday night and then finished Friday morning. Tasting this dish I discovered how much I despise pickled scallions. I had bought them thinking boiling them in soy sauce would eliminate the pickled flavor. I was sadly wrong. Imagine my proud face thinking I had outsmarted whoever pickled those scallions yet still tasting the pickled flavor. Double Yuck! The only shiitake mushrooms I could find were ones that had already been boiled. Upon purchase I thought this was wonderful! “Buying them already boiled will save me some time!” I thought to myself. The already boiled shiitake mushrooms were not a good idea. To me they seemed to be a little overcooked. I could not bring myself to eat them because they felt soggy in my mouth. Aside from the scallions and the mushrooms the broth and the tofu was delicious! I must try cooking this dish again with fresh ingredients!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

 

Ambrosia | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates